UR.13.001 Pi Kappa Phi records, Bulk, 1928-1969

Pi Kappa Phi records 1928-circa 2004UR.13.001

Summary Information

Title
Pi Kappa Phi records
Creator
Pi Kappa Phi.
Inclusive Dates
1928-circa 2004
Extent
1.02 Cubic feet
Extent
2 boxes
Call Number
UR.13.001
Language
English
Repository
W. W. Hagerty Library 3300 Market Street Philadelphia, PA 19104 215.895.6706 archives@drexel.edu

Preferred Citation

Pi Kappa Phi records (Collection UR.13.001), Drexel University Archives.

Return to Table of Contents »


Access and Use

Acquisition Information

Donated by Michael Sellers (2012), Anthony Noce (2013), and Steven Curtis (2013).

Access Restrictions

The collection is open for research use.

Preferred Citation

Pi Kappa Phi records (Collection UR.13.001), Drexel University Archives.

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Personal Name(s)

  • Curtis, Steven
  • Noce, Anthony M.
  • Sellers, Michael

Subject(s)

  • Drexel Institute of Technology--Students
  • Drexel University--Students
  • Greek letter societies

Return to Table of Contents »


Background note

Pi Kappa Phi fraternity was founded in 1904 in Charleston, South Carolina. The Drexel Institute chapter originated as the independent Kappa Sigma Delta (KSD) fraternity in 1919. KSD members initiated the student newspaper that would later become The Triangle. KSD started an Annual Tea Dance in 1926 and began producing original musical shows in 1932. In 1933 KSD was chartered as the Alpha Upsilon chapter of Pi Kappa Phi. The chapter produced the "Pi Kapp Show" of musicals, which ran continuously from 1939 to 1970, with a break for the World War II years. In 1939 Pi Kappa Phi moved into a house at 3401 Powelton Avenue, and in 1946 the chapter purchased the house at 3405 Powelton, where it remains today. 3405 Powelton was designed by architect Joseph Wilson, who also designed Drexel's Main Building and what is now Ross Commons.

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and content note

This collection consists of records of the Alpha Upsilon chapter of the Pi Kappa Phi fraternity, also known as Pi Kapp. This is an artificial collection, consisting of material donated by Drexel Pi Kapp alumni. Currently, the collection consists of show programs, sheet music and lyrics, photographs and a scrapbook. The scrapbook covers the early days of the Kappa Sigma Delta fraternity, founded at Drexel in 1919, through its affiliation with the national Pi Kappa Phi fraternity in 1933. Items in the scrapbook include newspaper clippings, photographs, and printed documents.

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

Programs 1937-1969, 1980, 1985, 2004 

Provenance

Donation of Michael Sellers

Box
1
BoxFolder

Pi Kappa Phi Show and Dance 1937-1939, 1941   4.0 volumes

11

Get into the swing 1939 February 24-25 

11

Pi Kappa Phi 1946-1951   6.0 volumes

12

Pi Kappa Phi 1954-1957   3.0 volumes

13

Pi Kappa Phi 1962-1969   8.0 volumes

14

Moscow mania 1962 November 16 

14

Ol' spice 1963 November 15 

14

A tale of two sit-ins 1964 November 20 

14

Hospital harmony 1965 November 19 

14

Ozarks in orbit 1966  

14

Mums the word 1967 

14

Out of this world 1969 

14

Return to Table of Contents »


BoxFolder

Pi Kapp Show 1980, 1985 

15

Letter from Jack Stoner (donor) ca. 2004 

16

Photographs ca. 1946 

Box
1
Folder
7

Return to Table of Contents »


Script of Paradise Lust 1949 November 

18

Script of It's Still Moonshine 1950 

19

Sheet music and lyrics 1947-1950 

Box
1
Folder
10

Return to Table of Contents »


Scrapbooks 1928-1937   1.0 volume

Box
OV
Box

Kappa Sigma Delta/Pi Kappa Phi scrapbook 1928-1937   1.0 volume

OV

Pi Kappa Phi convocation at the Lodge 1935 April   1.0 item 6 photographs and 1 clipping

Pi Kappa Phi group photos circa 1936   1.0 item 6 photographs and 1 clipping

Return to Table of Contents »


Search iDEA