UR.09.003 Trustees' Committee on Name alumni survey cards, 1934

Trustees' Committee on Name alumni survey cards 1934UR.09.003

Summary Information

Title
Trustees' Committee on Name alumni survey cards
Extent
1.0 Cubic feet
Extent
1 box
Call Number
UR.09.003
Language
English
Repository
W. W. Hagerty Library 3300 Market Street Philadelphia, PA 19104 215.895.6706 archives@drexel.edu

Preferred Citation

Trustees' Committee on Name alumni survey cards (Collection UR.09.003), Drexel University Archives.

Return to Table of Contents »


Access and Use

Acquisition Information

Unknown.

Access Restrictions

The collection is open for research use.

Preferred Citation

Trustees' Committee on Name alumni survey cards (Collection UR.09.003), Drexel University Archives.

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Subject(s)

  • Drexel Institute of Art, Science, and Industry--History
  • Drexel Institute of Technology--History
  • Drexel University--History

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative History

Drexel University was founded in 1891 as the Drexel Institute of Art, Science, and Industry. In 1933, the administration began to consider a change of name to Drexel Institute of Technology. A statement from A.J. Drexel Paul, then president of the Board of Trustees, states that "[t]he original name…was felt to be no longer accurate as a description of the fully accredited, professional college which Drexel has become in the last twenty years. For this reason a strong desire became manifest for the adoption of a name of modern academic significance, which would indicate the present status of the education offered at Drexel." A trustees' ad hoc committee was established to examine a possible name change, and in 1934 this committee conducted a survey of alumni and faculty asking whether they preferred the old name or a change to Drexel Institute of Technology. According to Paul's statement, "[t]he vote recorded a majority of more than three to one in favor of such a change on the part of both alumni and faculty." The name of the Institute was officially changed to Drexel Institute of Technology on March 30, 1936.

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and Contents note

The collection consists of postcards containing the responses received from the alumni and faculty surveyed regarding the name change. Each card contains an alumnus's name and address and their preference of name.

Return to Table of Contents »


Search iDEA